Whether posting to your Facebook page or sending out an email, an effective title can be the difference between clicking the link of ignoring it. Here are some of the most effective strategies when writing your title copy.
1. Who Else Wants [blank]?
Starting with “Who Else Wants” does two things: first it touches on the desire of want, second it confirms that the thing you’re offering has been proven to work by previous buyers.
- Who Else Wants a Great Cyclocross Bike?
- Who Else Wants a Winter Tune-Up?
- Who Else Wants To Join Us For the Ride this Thursday?
2. The Secret of/to [blank]
You’ve probably seen this one used before. That’s because it works. It is implying some insider knowledge, something that can only be learned by consuming your content.
- The Secret of Never Falling Down with Clip-In Pedals
- The Secret to Climbing Without Losing Weight
- The Secret to Riding in the Rain Without Getting Wet
3. Here is a Method That is Helping [blank] to [blank]
This will identify a target audience. Either one your speaking to directly or by illustrating a person or people that your target audience has aspirations to be.
- Here is a Method That is Helping Pro Triathletes Rest Better
- Here is a Method That is Helping Mothers Ride Mountain Bikes with Their Kids
- Here is a Method That is Helping Cyclists Avoid Unnecessary Repair Costs
4. [Do something] like [world-class example]
If you were watching commercials in the early 90s you may remember when Gatorade did this with the “Be Like Mike” campaign featuring Michael Jordan.
- Time Trial Like Tony Martin
- Descend Like Aaron Gwin
- Write Content Like Donny Perry
5. [Number] Ways to [solution/problem]. You will be [emotion]
This formula of words is like graduating to Copy Writing University. By showing a number we are setting the reader that this is a process that has been broken down to specific steps. Next it conveys an emotion and titles that convey emotion have a far greater open rate. Just check out Upworthy or Viralnova and just try not clicking one of those links.
- 6 Ways to Cure Saddle Pain. You’re Sex Life Will Thank You.
- 10 Ways to Handle Irate Drivers. You'll Laugh at #10.
- 3 Ways to Ride in the Snow. You’ll Love Winter in a Whole New Way
Check out the book. Leading Out Retail is a creative look at bicycle retail and teaches retailers simple strategies on how to increase profit through service, what the most important question to ask every customer is, and how to manage the dreaded Timmy Factor.