If you’re working for a bike shop and getting paid hourly there are some things you should be aware of.
1. Minimum wage in the US as of 2009 is $7.25 an hour. Anything less is illegal.
2. Your boss is not required to pay overtime for Saturdays, Sundays or holidays unless you went over the forty hour mark on those days.
3. If you’re under 20 years old it is legal to pay you $4.25 per hour for the first 90 days of employment. Luckily it is illegal to terminate someone making $7.25 or more and replace them with an employee making $4.25.
4. Many states do not require breaks or meal periods for hourly employees.
5. While the laws are very clear that overtime happens after 40 hours in a seven day period, it is not so clear on how many hours per day before overtime is required. Working 11 hours in one day may not equal 3 hours of overtime.
If you’re an owner or manager- don’t be a jerk, don’t do these things.
In the US, you can learn more about the labor rights by visiting the Department of Labor.
Thanks for reading. If you found this article valuable I would appreciate it if you shared it on your social channels. Thanks- Donny